The Pecoraro's

The Pecoraro's

Sunday, June 19, 2016







Today is not only Father’s Day, but it is also my father’s birthday.  Clyde Henry Jeffus, my daddy and my children’s Poopie (pronounced pooh-pie), turns 87 today and, although he won't be reading this because of the circumstances that life has brought to him. I still want to write to him and honor him on this day in this simple way with these very special memories that I have.  
Daddy, you have been a wonderful father in so many ways. I remember going to the mountains together and fishing together. I remember playing games together, working puzzles together and talking. I remember that you always knew something about everything. If I ever wanted advice about finances or cars or anything else, you would give it to me if I asked. I love the way your eyes would twinkle when you would flirt with Momma and the way you showed each of your daughters the importance of working hard and serving your community, your church and your family. You took good care of us, daddy. I love you so much!

I have so many special memories of you, daddy. One of my favorite memories is about the way that, every Christmas Eve, right before we tore into the mountain of presents that you and momma had given your children and grandchildren, you would read from the book of Luke. You would read the account of Jesus being born and we all sat quietly and listened. You read it to us every year, even when we were all grown and all of our children were there to be read to, also. What a wonderful memory and what a wonderful Legacy to give to all of us.
Another very special memory I have is of me as a grown up and one that I cherish because I remember it so well, but I don’t think anyone else ever knew about it. It was when John and I lived in Sweeny and there was this one day when I was so upset and I called you. I still remember where I was standing in my bedroom when you answered the phone. All of the kids were young and we had so little extra money to do anything special with. We could pay our bills, but just barely and I wanted soooo badly for one of my kids to get to take some special class. I’m pretty sure it was a gymnastics class for Loressa and, for some reason, I just really didn’t want to take that away from her just because we couldn’t afford it, so I called you. I wanted to ask for the money (like a loan that I would pay back), but I knew that you were already so generous with all of us girls (me and my two sisters) and that I had no right to be asking for anything more from you. I started crying the second that you answered the phone and I couldn’t get any words out. I didn’t ask about the money, but I was unable to say anything else either. So, we just sat there on the phone with me trying to quit crying and say something and you trying to make sure that no one was hurt. Finally, I calmed down. I never did ask for the money. I just couldn’t, but after we talked about your next trip that you and momma were going on and whatever small talk we brought up, you ended the conversation by saying, “Oh, I meant to tell you that I dropped a check in the mail this morning for each of you girls. I hope that it will help.” I never knew why or how you decided to send us the financial help, but your generosity was just one of the ways that you constantly showed me how much you loved me. 

I have lots of memories like that of you, daddy! 

I’m so thankful for all of the special memories I have with you and Momma. They are all so important to me.  Now, I try to instill in my own children and grandchildren 
the importance of making memories. There comes a time when those memories take on even more importance, like the importance of my memories with you.
I love you, Daddy! Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: