The Pecoraro's

The Pecoraro's

Thursday, November 18, 2010

So, since I'm new to this blog thing, I'm not really sure how often is the right amount of time to wait before putting a new post on. Do I wait to see what the response is to the first one or do I just keep writing them in hopes that people will keep reading? There you have it. My constant dilemma of not being able to make decisions. I second guess just about everything. That's why I've avoided this step of writing for so long, I am basically insecure and afraid. Does anyone else ever feel that way or am I the only one?

Now, what I really want to write about was last night. It brought back good memories. Emily, Sam, Loressa, Halton, Bethany Hunter, Mackenna, Destiny, Daniel, Tonia, John and I were all here after church to just hang out. It was so much fun for me. I love having people over. Until recently, people coming over to our house on Wednesday night after church was a standard activity. Students would start piling in and our house would come alive. People would play games, sing, talk and laugh until very late and I would go to bed happy that we had a special time. Sometime, not too long ago, people stopped coming over as much. Some of the ones that had faithfully come have grown up. Some have moved on. For some, Little Elm seems too far away from The Colony and everyone wants to have a more convenient place to hang out. It makes me sad, but fortunately, when you have several kids, you can have a party even if no one else comes along to join you. My hope is that a new crop of students will start coming over and hanging out. I want our home to be a place that people feel welcome. It may not be the coolest or the cleanest or the closest, but I hope that people that come and hang out here will be glad that they did.

Now comes the second guessing. Should I really post this? Is it too personal? Did I say everything right? The second guessing could go on and on and on. I guess I'll just...click...publish.

1 comment:

Duane Green said...

Part of writing is exposing ourself to others in a much different way than we are accustomed to. The spoken word is used mostly in a more 1:1 setting, whereas a blog like yours opens you up to so many more participants. I find that my writing allows me to be more precise in my language and thought than the usual random conversation with friends or family.
I think it's natural to be "afraid" of how others will respond to our writing, just as Halton and Loressa might have some fear about how their latest song will be received. Back when I was writing a guest column for the Dallas Morning News, I was usually very nervous on the night before my piece was published. Inevitably, I would get some negative feedback via their website or directly to my email. But eventually, I grew accustomed to the scrutiny and stopped worrying about how my words would be received. As long as I was honest and true with my writing, that's all I could expect from myself. Those that truly love me were always encouraging, even if they didn't completely agree with what I wrote.
I suspect that you'll find this to be a liberating experience.